Monday, November 14, 2011

Our favorite hero...

So things have been a little crazy around here lately. I just realized I haven't updated anything since the end of October. :/  We just got back late last night from my brother's basketball tournament in San Francisco. Hudson is napping, laundry is in the washer, kitchen is clean, so I thought I'd take a few minutes to give some attention to my neglected blog.

Before I post about our great trip, there is a more important post I have to do. Last Friday was Veteran's Day. Typically, I plan something special on this day, but it is safe to say that this year I totally dropped the ball. All our wonderful veteran received was a card..a late one at that. :( If I had my act together, I would have written this post before we left and scheduled it to post the morning of Veteran's Day, but clearly, I'm not that put together these days.

Anyway...moving on to the important part of this post...

During the long car ride home, Hudson told me all the things he wanted to make sure I shared today (in English!)...

Dear Daddy,

Did you know that I think I am the luckiest boy in the whole world? 
God is so so good to have blessed me with a dad like you.
 From the moment I saw you when I was born, I knew it was an honor to be called your son. 


I love you so much and am so proud of all you have done and all you have sacrificed for our country. 



Even though you never like to admit it or let it show, I know that sometimes you get tired. 
Sometimes you hurt,
 and sometimes you even get frustrated. 
But on those days I hope you remember how very thankful and grateful I am that you are here with me and that you keep fighting and pushing forward.



I am so thankful that God was protecting you that day, and that he kept you extra safe and saved you. 
He had big plans for you still.  
I think He knew that my mom needed you. 
And that I needed you too. 


Although I can't imagine what you've been through, 
nor fully understand the challenges and difficulties that you have overcome,
please know how much I admire and respect you.




Whenever new people meet me, they constantly say I look just like you. 
(Lucky for me, that means I should turn out to be a pretty handsome dude!)



I hope that I take after you in other ways too. 
I hope someday to be a great man of God like you. 
I hope you will teach me how to be brave and courageous. 



How to be willing to do things that other people won't. 
How to stand up for what is right. 
How to be a great husband and dad. 




You are my hero. My favorite veteran. My mom and I love you so much.
We consider it an honor to get to share our lives with you.
Thank you for being you. And thank you for all you have done.

Happy Veteran's Day!
(sorry my mom didn't make it very special)

Love love love you with all of my heart,

Hudson


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hudson, You truely do have a wonderful dad. Love Grandma Jane

Kindi King said...

Beyond precious. I nearly teared up. :)

Anonymous said...

O my goodness this is the sweetest thing ever! My roommate and I were tearing up as we read this! Thank you for all you have done and how you served our country Garrett!

Anonymous said...

Hudson is quite the wordsmith might want to consider a writing career, maybe there was a little of mom coming through there too ;) thanks to Garret and all veterans for their sacrifice and service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...