**This is the longest post EVER. I've started and stopped it so many times that it is probably extremely choppy and doesn't appear that I can finish a thought. At this point, I just have to go with it!
Christmastime has always been somewhat of a crazy blur. It is such a blessing to get to see so many different relatives, but also makes for a very hectic location-hopping day. Thankfully, this year we stretched it out a bit and were able to actually enjoy and cherish the people we visited at each stop along the way without having to watch the clock and stress about getting to the next destination on time.
The Christmas marathon started on Thursday night at our house with just our little family of three. When I was a kid, my mom used to always buy us a new ornament each year, and on Christmas eve we got to open a beautifully wrapped package of brand new jammies that we would then put on before she sent us to my dads to spend the night. In honor of her sentimental self that she thinks I never have enough of, we started the new pjs and ornament tradition this year for Hudson's first Christmas. (I wonder if new Christmas jammies get to be "new to you"?? Just thinking about the ramifications of this new tradition once we add more kids to the bunch!) :)
Since Hudson wasn't going to care about his ornament nor his new jammies,
Garrett took care of buying the ornament and I got the jammies.
That way, we each got to be surprised by the other person's purchase.
Hudson and his daddy opening his new jammies: (Jammies to appear in later pictures!)
(He is sporting his Bison gear because he just watched his Uncle Taylor play basketball)
My husband picked the "perfect ornament" in his opinion...
Guess you can't win 'em all :)
After all the opening, we gave him a quick bath, read him a personally-translated-by-his-mama version of Jesus' birth, and plopped him into bed. That night I had a very hard time sleeping. I was wide awake from 2-5am. Got some good prayer time in, but not much sleep. It made me feel like a kid again to get to experience Hudson's first Christmas with him! The next morning, Hudson woke up like clock work at 8:00am. He has the sweetest smiles in the morning and we, unfortunately, did not capture them on camera.
(No, Garrett did not get Spanish books for Christmas.
I just had to borrow Hudson's almost empty stocking to fit one of Garrett's gifts.)
After a feeding and a diaper change, we headed to the living room to do our family's Christmas. Hudson got a few books and a Christmas sweater. Because of all the stops we make, we knew Hudson would be more than spoiled this year, and we didn't want to overdo it. Once they are old enough to understand, I want to involve our kids in some sort of community outreach project they can help with, or specific cause they can give to so that Christmas time gets them thinking about how they can give to someone else, and not just excited about all the receiving.
Garrett and his stocking full of manly things.
(Please ignore this gorgeous photo of me! ...it's about the memories people!)
It was so nice to be able to have all day Friday (the 23rd) to be able to just hangout and relax as the three of us!
Disclaimer: If there is one thing I learned about family events, it is that I am horrible about taking pictures at them! :( Before the weekend started, I reminded myself of all the pictures I wanted to get, and I unfortunately, majorly dropped the ball. Again.
The night of the 23rd, we headed over to my mom's house to celebrate Christmas with her and my siblings from that side of my family.
Hudson and his crazy sweet Uncle Casey...
Garrett getting very serious about our game of pictionary-turned-charades...
Mallory and I (some of Garrett's teammates) clearly impressed with his acting skills...
3 pictures. That's it. No pictures of my mom, my step-dad, or Hudson with any other siblings.
I'm a loser!
After spending the night at my mom's, the next morning (Christmas eve) we headed to Garrett's parents to spend the day with them. Hudson played lots with his grandpa and grandma and Auntie Sara.
Apparently I limit myself to 3 photos at each stop. No pictures of Grandma Jones.
None of Auntie Sara. None of Garrett. Lovely.
The night of Christmas eve we drove to my dad's house and spent the night there. We woke up early on Christmas morning and opened stockings before meeting Grandma and Grandpa Jones at church.
After church, we went back to my dad's to spend more time with family...
Where is Auntie Alex? Auntie Kalie? My step-mom? Grammy and Steve? Uncle Drew? Who knows? I swear they were there. Just don't have it documented. :(
All of this running around made for one tired boy.
The weekend following Christmas we drove up to Seattle to see my mom's extended family, celebrate Christmas, and celebrate my grandma's 70th birthday.
At this point, a guest photographer has stepped in. My brother-in-law Drew took all these pictures. That explains how they all just instantly got a lot better. :)
My cousin Cole holding my 2nd cousin, baby Adelynn
My youngest cousins, Caden and Cole
There is my sister Kalie! I told you she was there! :)
Auntie Mallory (aka "the baby hog")
Hudson sporting his new North Face coat from his Great Aunt Donna and family
My wonderful grandpa. I'm really bummed (once again) that I didn't get a picture of him holding Hudson. :(
My Grandma Seattle
(that isn't really her last name, just what we've always called her since she lives in Washingon)
Almost all the grandkids and great-grandkids...
Me and my mountain man...
Finally! Hudson and his Tia Kalie!
We feel so blessed to get to share Christmas with so many loved ones. We feel even more blessed to get to know Jesus and take part in celebrating and honoring His birth.
Merry Christmas to all!
And Happy New Year!
















3 comments:
Christmas photo's are great. It really was a great time. Thank's for starting the jammie/ornament tradition. I have hope for you yet.lol
those were really great pictures :) the faces hudson makes are priceless. i think hes gonna have a spunky personality!!
2 things:
#1 - that photo of you in your glasses *IS* gorgeous, so shush :D
#2 - are all your siblings blonde except you?
ps - ok, I lied, 3 things...I know it's hard when you want to capture everything on camera...but don't beat yourself up when you don't. It is better to live in the moment and enjoy it fully than be so stressed about getting photos that you forget to enjoy what you're doing. If you forget, then you must have been having a wonderful time with the people you love. Awesomeness :o)
Post a Comment